Saturday, April 9, 2011

He Gives and Takes Away

Sad just does not capture the hopeless feeling I experienced today.   While we were enjoying a relaxing Friday; a day of church, special family time and a “Sunday Lunch”, a dear friend was mourning the death of her brother.  I was just struck by the unpredictable changes of life that strike people at different times with varying degrees of severity. Life, as they know it, will not be the same again.   And those of us that are not affected, are just... not affected.  Our lives just carry on.  Unchanged.  It just seems unfair.
As I started thinking about how heartbreaking the situation is, I was reminded that it is the Lord who gives, and it is the Lord who takes away, and He is to be blessed, praised and thanked for both.  How comforting and awesome it is to know and believe in God who is in control of all things, and who works all those things for the good of those who love Him, and for His glory.  Sadness is reduced to some extent, but hopelessness is done away.
So as I weep with those who weep, at the same time I am amazed anew at the grace and mercy of our great God, who is slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness.  Once again I am extremely thankful that He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor punish us according to our iniquities but instead, through the death and resurrection of God’s own Son, provides a way for us to be with Him, forever, where there is no sin, no death, no tears.
As I consider that the days of man is like grass…and it is gone, I marvel that the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him.
Bless the Lord, Oh my soul!
                                                                                                                thoughts from Psalm 103

No comments: